Frequently asked questions - Elections
- Q: Am I registered to vote?
- Q: Voting - I have not had my poll card for this election
- Q: I have had a poll card, but I usually vote by post
- Q: I don't want to vote why have I been sent a poll card?
- Q: When will my postal vote arrive?
- Q: Can postal ballot papers be sent overseas?
- Q: I am unable to sign either the Postal Vote Application Form or Postal Vote Statement.
- Q: When does the completed postal ballot paper have to be received back by?
- Q: What happens if my postal vote gets lost, is not received or is spoilt?
- Q: Can someone else vote on my behalf (proxy voting)?
- Q: I have just had a hospital appointment / or I have had a recent illness that means I cannot vote in person. It is too late to apply to vote by post or by proxy ?
- Q: What if we have recently moved or are moving soon, or if some of the people on the form are living/moving away from home?
Q: I vote by proxy and my nominated proxy has registered as a postal proxy (to vote on my behalf by post). Will you be writing to both of us to ask for fresh signatures?
Yes, we will write to you to confirm that you still wish to vote by proxy. Should you fail to provide a new signature (that can be scanned into the system) within the timescales, we will write to your postal proxy to inform them that their proxy appointment has been cancelled. We will also write to your postal proxy and ask them to provide us with a fresh signature. If they do not provide a fresh signature (that can be scanned into the system) by the deadline, they will lose their entitlement to vote by postal proxy and will need to cast their vote in person at your polling station. If this is the case, we will write to you as the elector to explain that while the proxy appointment remains in place, your proxy must now attend your polling station to vote on your behalf.
- Q: How can I stand as a candidate?
- Q: What if I applied to register ages ago but I'm still not on the register?
- Q: What are the full and open registers?
- Q: What is the deadline for applying for a postal vote for the forthcoming election?
- Q: What is the deadline for applying for a proxy vote in the forthcoming election?