Online forms

Some of our online forms will be unavailable on Thursday 19 May from 6:15am until 10:45am due to scheduled maintenance. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience.

Disabled Residents Relief

We can grant a reduction on your Council Tax if a resident (adult or child) at the property is disabled, and you have a room, or an extra bathroom or kitchen, to meet the special needs of the disability, or if you use a wheelchair indoors.

We will reduce your bill by putting your home in the Valuation Band below the one you are currently charged on (so if your home is in Band C, we put it in Band B). This means that people with disabilities do not pay more tax because of the extra space they need.

If the property is in Band A, the charge will be reduced by the equivalent of one ninth of Band D charge.

How do I qualify?

Council Tax law defines a "disabled resident" as someone who is substantially and permanently disabled, whether by illness, injury, congenital deformity or otherwise.

The disabled person must live at the home permanently, and the reduction would end if they moved away.

Your property must fulfil one of the following conditions:


  • there is an additional bathroom or kitchen for meeting the needs of the disabled resident


  • a permanently disabled resident uses a wheelchair indoors


  • there is a room, that is not a bathroom, kitchen or lavatory, used to predominantly meet the needs of the disabled resident

What happens if I qualify for the reduction?

We will write to you to confirm that you are entitled to the reduction, and send you a revised bill.

We must, in law, ask you each year to confirm that you still wish to claim the reduction. We will write to you and ask if there have been any changes, and if you do not reply we may have to stop the reduction.

If there are any changes in your circumstances that may affect your entitlement to the reduction (e.g. the disabled person moves away), you must advise Revenues and Benefits within 21 days.

What if I do not qualify?

If we do not think you qualify for the reduction we will write to you to explain why. We will also explain what you can do if you are not happy with this decision.

Apply for the relief


Download an application form

If you do not have access to a printer contact [email protected] and we will post one to you.

You must arrange for a suitably qualified person, such as your doctor or health visitor, to sign the bottom of the form to confirm the application

When you send us the form we will contact you to arrange a visit to your property. We do this so that we can verify your application and make a fully informed decision whether you qualify for the reduction.

Frequently asked questions

Q: Does the disabled person have to be the person whose name appears on the Council Tax bill?

A: No, the disabled person can be a child, or a relative or friend; however, they must live permanently at the property.

Q: I have converted a downstairs room as a bedroom. Do I qualify?

A: Unfortunately not. If you are using a room to meet the needs of a disabled person, the use of the room must be connected with the disability; for example, you may have a room converted to deliver dialysis treatment. All persons, disabled or not, require a bedroom.

Q: I own a residential care home. Can I apply?

A: Yes. If you have a permanently disabled person living in your residential care home you may apply. If that person leaves you will no longer qualify as the reduction is granted due to a disabled person living there, and not because the property is a residential care home.

Q: My disabled child uses a wheelchair and sometimes stays with me; would I qualify for the reduction?

A. No. To qualify for reduction, the disabled person must be permanently residing at the address as their sole or main residence (i.e. their main home).


This information is a general guidance and is not a substitute for the relevant statutes and regulations.