Northampton Severe Weather shelter reopened
Northampton’s Severe Weather Emergency Protocol (SWEP) is being activated for rough sleepers again this weekend due to Met Office prediction of sub-zero temperatures.
It will open from 9pm to 7am from Sunday 27 January to at least the morning of Thursday 31 January, at the Hope Centre on the ground floor of Oasis House in Campbell Street.
The shelter is run by Northampton Borough Council in partnership with the Hope Centre, Midland Heart Housing Association and NAASH.
Cllr Stephen Hibbert, Council Cabinet member for housing and wellbeing, said: “If anyone knows of a rough sleeper in Northampton, I would ask that they urge them to use the shelter.
“Sleeping out in sub-zero temperatures is extremely dangerous and we need rough sleepers to understand that help is available.
“I would also like to remind people that our Nightshelter operates every night of the year and can be accessed via the Guildhall.”
Rough sleepers can access SWEP by:
- Turning up at Oasis House at 9pm on any night of operation
- Visiting the Guildhall between 10am and 4pm, Monday to Friday, and speaking with our Single Homelessness Adviser
- Attending the housing advice drop-in at Oasis House from 9am to 3pm, run by our Outreach Workers
- Speaking with a member of Hope Centre staff at Oasis House between 8.30am and 4pm, Monday to Friday
- Speaking with NAASH staff at Oasis House between 8am and 4pm, Monday to Friday
Visit https://www.northampton.gov.uk/info/200184/help-with-housing/1280/rough-sleeping for more information about our support for rough sleepers.