Community forums looking for new members
Published Thursday, 09 August 2018
Northampton’s Community Forums are calling out for new members this summer.
People who live, work or visit the town are welcome to join the six active groups, which each meet at the Guildhall on a bi-monthly basis.
The Community Forums provide people with an interest in their local communities to get involved and help shape services, projects and events delivered by Northampton Borough Council.
Examples of projects and events that forum members can get involved in, include weeks of action, civic services, fundraising and awareness day celebrations such as International Women’s Day, International Youth Day, Personal Safety Week and Parliament Week.
The forums include:
- The Diverse Communities Forum, which looks at the needs of the whole community including health, culture and crime.
- The Disabled Peoples’ Forum, which focuses on health, accessibility and transport issues.
- The LGBTQ Forum which supports awareness days and concentrates on issues facing the LGBQT community.
- The Pensioners Forum, which focuses on the health, housing, transport and financial well-being for the older generation.
- The Women’s Forum, which supports the International Women’s Day celebrations and key topics such as public safety, faith and cultural diversity.
- The Youth Forum, which as the town’s youth council, aims to speak out for and on behalf of the young people of Northampton. Their work includes stamp out hate crime campaign, Holocaust Memorial Day and Northampton’s heritage.
Cllr Anna King, Cabinet member for community engagement and safety, said: “The Community Forums have delivered some fantastic events and projects over the years.
“Through their work, the forums provide excellent opportunities for all to express their needs and views about Council led services and to get involved in future plans for the town.
“If you are passionate about making a difference in the town by highlighting community issues, celebrating achievements and bringing communities together, we encourage you to get involved in our forums’ work.”
Anyone interested in finding out more about Northampton’s six Community Forums can email email@example.com or meet some of the forum members at the upcoming Love Northampton Food Fair at the Guildhall on Saturday, 18 August.
More articles in the news archive