Useful information for anyone concerned about flooding

Published: Wednesday, 09 March 2016

What to do and who to contact in case of a flood.


For non-emergency flooding, please submit an online reporting form to Northamptonshire's Flood and Water Team. You will receive a response within 21 days.


If it is an emergency with a potential risk to life, please contact Fire and Rescue on 999 or 112. Although Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue’s main responsibility is saving lives, they may also help pump out floodwater from your property depending on how busy they are.

Roads and highways

If the flooding is affecting a highway, please call Northamptonshire Highways who have a call-out team who may be able to help.

Telephone: 0300 126 1000 (8am - 6pm) or 07000 782 112 (out of hours), or report the flooding online.

If the flooding is on the M1, M45, A5, A14, A43 or A45 please contact the Highways Agency on 0300 123 5000 (say "report" when prompted).

Environment Agency rivers

If the flooding is from an Environment Agency main river, please call the 24hr Floodline on 0345 988 1188.

You can check if it is a main river on the Environment Agency website: just type in the postcode and all Environment Agency watercourses will be shown in thick blue lines.


If the flooding is from a sewer, please report it to the relevant water and sewerage company:

  • Anglian Water: 03457 145145 (select option 1);
  • Severn Trent Water: 0800 783 4444;
  • Thames Water: 0800 3169 800 (select option 2 and then option 2 again).

All other types of flood

For all other flooding, there is no emergency response available. You can find advice on flooding and how to protect yourself can be found on the Flood Toolkit website.


Northamptonshire County Council and Northampton Borough Council do not provide sandbags.

Corby Borough Council and East Northamptonshire Council may be able to provide sandbags to residents or businesses in those area.

You can buy sandbags from most DIY stores and builder’s merchants, and you can also try your parish council.