Renting privately

Getting advice if you encounter problems in your tenancy

The vast majority of private sector landlords are responsible and fair but we do recognise that sometimes problems may occur. Even though you don't live in a council house, if you are experiencing trouble with your landlord, we may still be able to help you. Here are some examples of how.

Protection from eviction

We have legal powers under the Protection from Eviction Act of 1977. If you believe you have been harassed or illegally evicted contact us as your landlord may have acted illegally. We will investigate your situation and try to mediate between all parties where this is possible. If necessary we do have the power to bring about a prosecution. Call the council on 0300 330 7000 and ask to speak to someone in the housing options team.

Landlord obligations

Landlords have responsibilities towards their tenants under the law for example, to provide rent books, giving tenants full information on service charges and insurances etc. The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 (as amended) gives councils the power to prosecute landlords who have not met their obligations under this legislation.

If we receive a complaint in most cases we will require the landlord to change his/her practice and provide the required documentation / information; however, if a landlord persists in not complying with the law we may consider a prosecution. 

Providing essential utilities

We have a power under Section 33 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976, to act on your behalf if you are threatened with losing, or you have already lost, your gas, electricity or water supplies because of something your landlord has done (by failing to pay bills for instance); however, we will act only as a last resort for emergency cases and then only when young children or elderly persons are affected.

In addition we will only make arrangements with the suppliers which do not involve financial liability falling upon us but we will co-operate closely with the suppliers and wherever possible try to get the suppliers' support and assistance. 

Rogue landlords in Northampton are being told to get their house in order or face prosecution

We have launched a new hotline for people to report rogue landlords that do not care about their tenants, neighbours or the local community. The move comes as part of a tough new approach to dealing with irresponsible landlords which is already seeing council officers taking to the streets in search of rogue landlords across the town.

A quick call to 0300 330 7002 is all that is needed to start an investigation that could result in enforcement action or prosecution.