Approved food premises local authority approval

Apply for approved food premises local authority approval

Eugo logoThis information complies with the new EU Services Directive that came into effect on 28 December 2009. This new directive aims to make it easier for businesses to set up or offer their services anywhere in the EU and apply and pay on-line for a licence.

The directive covers a wide variety businesses including accountants, builders, food services, and leisure services. 

Other services such as education, health, transport, planning, gambling, taxis and social services do not fall within the scope of the directive.

Apply online

You can apply online for this licence, but please ensure you have read and understood all additional information before you apply.

Apply by post 

If you wish, you can download an application form and return it to: Regulatory Services, Northampton Borough Council, The Guildhall, Northampton, NN1 1DE

Licence summary If you operate food premises you may need to be approved by us. Examples of types of premises that are required to be approved local authorities are stand alone (ie not attached to a slaughter house, cutting plant or game handling establishment): You should contact us to see if you require approval for:

1) meat processing plants
2) meat preparation plants
3) minced meat processing operations and mechanically separated meat processing plants
4) cold stores
Eligibility criteria No provision in legislation
Regulation summary A summary of the regulation relating to this licence
Application evaluation process No provision in legislation
Will tacit consent apply? No. It is in the public interest that Northampton Borough Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from Northampton Borough Council within a reasonable period (30 days), please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.
Failed application redress Please contact Northampton Borough Council in the first instance.
Licence holder redress Please contact Northampton Borough Council in the first instance.
Consumer complaint We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, and if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Bureau can give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.
Other redress E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another.
Trade associations Livestock & Meat Commission for Northern Ireland (LMC)

National Association of Catering Butchers (NACB)

National Federation of Meat and Food Traders

Scottish Federation of Meat Traders Associations (SFMTA)