Skin piercing registration - tattooists, ear-piercing, electrolysis and acupuncture


Tattooists, piercing and electrolysis registration - how to apply

This information complies with the new EU Services Directive that came into effect on 28 December 2009. This new directive aims to make it easier for businesses to set up or offer their services anywhere in the EU and apply and pay on-line for a licence. The directive covers a wide variety businesses including accountants, builders, food services, and leisure services.

Other services such as education, health, transport, planning, gambling, Eugo logo

Licence summary If you offer tattooing, semi-permanent skin colouring, cosmetic piercing, or electrolysis in Northern Ireland, you must be registered with Northampton Borough Council. If you work from premises, they must also be registered. Once registered, you will be issued with a certificate of registration.
Eligibility criteria You must provide specific information including details of your premises and any previous convictions for practicing without a licence in this field. The fee for a tattooist, piercing and electrolysis registration is currently £132.
Regulation summary A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence
Application evaluation process No provision in legislation
Will tacit consent apply? No. It is in the public interest that Northampton Borough Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from Northampton Borough Council within a reasonable period (21 days), please contact us.
Apply online Apply for a licence to pierce skin
Failed application redress Please contact Northampton Borough Council in the first instance.
Licence holder redress Please contact Northampton Borough Council in the first instance. If a registration is suspended or cancelled the registration holder may appeal to the county court.
Consumer complaint We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, and if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Bureau can give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.
Other redress E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Also if one licence holder complains about another.
Trade associations None