Licensing of pet shops


Pet shop licence - how to apply

Licence summary To run a business selling pet animals you need a licence from us. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet.
Eligibility criteria Applicants for a pet shop licence must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop. A fee of £128, determined by us, will be payable on application.
Regulation summary A summary of the regulation relating to this licence
Application evaluation process We must have regard to the following when considering an application for a pet shop licence:

1) that animals will be kept in suitable accommodation; for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
2) adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals
3) that any mammalian animals will not be sold too young
4) that steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals
5) that adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place

Conditions can be attached to a licence to ensure that the above are complied with.
Will tacit consent apply? Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

An application period of 14 calendar days is required.
Apply online Apply to run a pet shop
Tell us about a change to your existing pet shop
Failed application redress Please contact us in the first instance. Any person who is refused a licence can appeal to the Magistrates court. A court or sheriff may give directions on the issue of a licence.
Licence holder redress Please contact us in the first instance. Any licence holder who objects to a condition attached to a licence may appeal to the local Magistrates court. A court or sheriff may give directions on the issue of a condition.
Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint you should contact the trader - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Bureau can give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Also if one licence holder complains about another.
Trade associations Pet Care Trust (PCT)
National Association of Catering Butchers (NACB)
National Federation of Meat and Food Traders
Scottish Federation of Meat Traders Associations (SFMTA)