22/05/19 - online form maintenance

Some of our online forms will be unavailable between 7pm and 8pm this evening. We will try to get them back online as quickly as possible and we sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.

How to claim Business Rates relief

Types of business rates relief

If you are contacted by any person or company who offers to appeal against your Business Rates on your behalf, you may wish to check the Valuation Office Agency page on agents for advice before making any commitment.

You are able to make an application for an exemption or relief free of charge. Please contact the Business Rates department on 0300 330 7000 if you wish to discuss how to make a claim.

Small business rate relief

Find out about small business rate relief.

If you do not already receive the relief and you think that you are eligible, contact us on 0300 330 7000 or you can download an application form.

Rural rate relief

You can get relief if your business is in a rural area with a population below 3,000 and is:

  • the only village shop or post office with a rateable value of up to £8,500
  • the only public house or petrol station with a rateable value of up to £12,500

Charitable rate relief

Where a non-domestic property is occupied by a charity (or trustees for a charity), and is used wholly or mainly for charitable purposes, the charity or trustees are entitled to mandatory rate relief of 80% of the full rate bill or of the transitional bill where the transitional arrangements apply.

Clubs registered with the Inland Revenue Sports Club Unit as Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs) are entitled to the same rate relief as charities.

Download a charitable rate relief application form.

Discretionary rate relief

Download the guidelines.

Enterprise Zone relief

If you are placed within Northampton Waterside Enterprise Zone you may have been entitled to 100% relief for 5 years, up to a maximum of £275,000 across the 5 year period.

Applications for this relief closed on 31 March 2018 and the government scheme has ended.

Transitional adjustments

Transitional adjustments are limits on how much your Business Rates bills may go up or down each year.

Find out more about transitional adjustments.

Part-occupied relief

We have the discretion to allow rate relief where a property is partly occupied for a temporary period.

Find out more about part-occupied relief.

Exempted buildings

Certain properties are exempt from business rates. These include:

  • Agricultural land and buildings, including fish farms
  • Use of buildings for training or welfare of disabled people
  • Buildings registered for public religious worship or church halls

Empty rate relief

Once a property becomes empty, the first three months are exempt from rating (six months in the case of an empty industrial property). Thereafter, the full 100% rates are payable.

Some properties can get extended empty property relief:

  • listed buildings - until they are reoccupied
  • buildings with a rateable value under £2,900 - until they are reoccupied
  • properties owned by charities (only if the property’s next use will be mostly for charitable purposes)
  • community amateur sports clubs buildings (only if the next use will be mostly as a sports club)
  • those where occupation is prohibited by law
  • those where the owner is a representative of a deceased person

Retail discount

In the autumn 2018 budget the government announced a new relief scheme for retail premises that have a rateable value of less than £51,000. Under this 2 year scheme eligible ratepayers will receive a one-third discount on their final bill.

It will be our intention to award the relief automatically where the qualifying criteria are clearly satisfied, and, where they are not, we will issue application forms. State aid rules will apply.

Find out what qualifies as a retail premises.

If you are not in receipt of this relief but believe that you may be entitled to it you can download an application form using the link below and email it to [email protected]

Download a retail relief application form