Street cleaning and grounds maintenance
Litter and street cleaning
The cleaning of Northampton is important to our residents, visitors and businesses.
Our aim is to:
- Clean the town centre and busy shopping areas to a high standard, 7 days a week
- Visit streets in residential areas and clean or litter pick as required
- Provide litterbins at litter 'hotspots' and empty them at least once per week to prevent them overflowing
- Carry out regular inspections to measure the cleanliness of the town in relation to national standards (NI 195)
- Remove dead animals from streets and open spaces within 24 hours
Report an area for cleaning
If any public area is badly littered, or if you see any bins overflowing with rubbish, please tell us about it.
You can report a variety of problems, quickly and easily using our online form.
Fines for littering
The offence is subject to a fixed penalty notice of a reduced payment of £50, if you pay within 10 days, rising to £80 full payment if you pay within 14 days.
If you think an area would benefit from a new or additional bin, let us know and we'll consider your request; however, extra bins do not always solve problems with litter. For example, the town centre has a high number of bins but people continue to litter.
The cost of additional bins must also be considered as they can cost between £400 and £800 each, excluding installation.
They must also be waterproof, UV resistant and fire resistant and depending on the location, a bin may even require planning permission and that can take up to 2 years.