Neighbourhood Wardens & Park Rangers
Northampton's Neighbourhood Wardens help reduce environmental crime, anti-social behaviour, minimise the fear of crime and provide a link with services for the community to prevent:
- Street & vehicle crime and abandoned vehicles
- Anti-social behaviour, vandalism and burglary
- Fly tipping
- Environmental problems caused by putting refuse out too early
- Overgrown greenery
You can contact your Neighbourhood Warden if you have any concerns relating to your area. The wardens provide highly visible patrols on the streets of the areas they are responsible for.
Neighbourhood Wardens are able to issue fixed-penalty notices when appropriate and also have the authority of confiscate tobacco and prevent the consumption of alcohol in public areas.
Neighbourhood Wardens are involved in a range of projects working with residents and businesses to improve local communities, ie: actively participating in Northampton in Bloom and help to co-ordinate community clean ups in open spaces.
How will neighbourhood wardens work within their community?
Neighbourhood Wardens can help by:
- Acting as a link between the community and other agencies such as the police and fire and local authorities
- Working closely with the Northampton Borough Council environmental Crime Team to track down offenders, both businesses and individual, and taking the appropriate legal action.
- Dealing with complaints about environmental issues
- Keeping track of incidents reported until we have a result
- Checking on empty properties which are often the target for anti-social behaviour
- Being a visible presence on the streets and helping to make people feel safer
- Reporting anti-social behaviour and involving the relevant organisations
- Promoting and supporting local meetings, festivals, fun days and environmental events to help build community spirit and encourage the establishment of self-help groups
Neighbourhood Wardens are easy to spot in their fluorescent yellow jackets with the words 'Neighbourhood Warden' printed on the back.