West Northamptonshire Council Unitary Elections
Standing as a candidate
Unitary and Parish elections - 6 May 2021
Standing in the elections on 6 May
On 6 May this year residents in West Northamptonshire will be able to elect councillors to serve on the new West Northamptonshire Council.
A total of 93 councillors will be elected to the new Council, which replaces the existing district, borough and county councils across the west Northamptonshire area on 1 April 2021.
Elections are also due to take place that day to elect representatives for up to 117 town/parish councils across West Northamptonshire.
Please note that due to the Coronavirus pandemic, the way we handle your nominations to stand as candidates in the above elections will be different this year.
Candidates and agents briefing
An online briefing session was held on 3 March to give candidates and agents an overview of the nominations process, key electoral information, dates and deadlines as well as setting out important details about the Covid safety measures being planned for candidates and agents.
If you missed it, you can watch a recording of the candidates and agents briefing here
To stand in the elections on 6 May you will need to complete and submit a nomination form. Nomination forms for these elections will be made available from 3 March, via the following means:
- Download a nomination form from the Electoral Commission’s website
- Email us on [email protected] letting us know how many forms you need. We can send the forms to an address of your choosing.
Checking your nomination form
The period for formal submission of your nomination forms runs from 10am on Friday 26 March until 4pm on Thursday 8 April.
From Thursday 18 March you will be able to send your nomination forms to us for informal checking.
Please take a photograph of your forms or scan them before emailing them to [email protected]
Your submission must be easily readable and include the nomination form and the consent to nomination form, plus any others needed – for instance if you are a member of a political party.
If you are unable to send your forms electronically, we can make other arrangements for you to bring them in, but this would be the last resort.
Submitting your nomination
Once your nominations have been informally checked and we have notified you that they are valid, you can make an appointment to hand them to us at the One Stop Shop The Guildhall, Northampton. The law around this has not changed and forms must be hand delivered - either by the candidate, agent or another trusted person.
Appointments can be made between 10am and 4pm on any working day from Friday 26 March to Thursday 8 April.
Please make an appointment by emailing [email protected]
Instructions for your appointment will be sent you once the appointment is confirmed.
Please remember - the deadline to submit nomination forms is 4pm on Thursday 8 April.
- Please make an appointment by calling 01604 837304, 01604 838615 or 01604 837680.
Alternatively, you can email [email protected].
- If you wish, you can make your appointment in advance after the briefing on 3rd March, but we do need to have received your nomination papers electronically and validated them before your appointment.
- Appointments can be made between 10am and 4pm on any working day from Friday 26 March 2021 to Thursday 8 April 2021. Please make sure you are on time, if you are late, we may have to make another appointment for you.
- At your appointment time, please go to the One Stop shop at the Northampton Borough Council. Someone will be there to greet you and you will be directed to our Nominations Room where there will be a final check to make sure your papers are all present and correct. Your validity letter will be posted to you.
- Please make sure you wear a face covering – hand sanitiser will be available for you to use when you arrive and when you leave.
- Once processed we will direct you to the exit. We would ask that, to keep ourselves on time and sufficiently socially distanced, that discussions are kept to a minimum and any queries are dealt with via telephone or email before your appointment.