Kingsthorpe High Street and Manor Road Conservation Area
|Date of designation:|| 4 March 1987
|Area (hectares):|| 4.1
|Latest appraisal:|| February 2017
This Conservation Area envelops Manor Road, High Street and their return frontages onto the Welford Road and Knights Lane.
The origins of Manor Road and High Street go back to early mediaeval times, before King John discontinued direct Royal control of the township. The layout of this early settlement was typical of many Northamptonshire villages. High Street would have formed an avenue of farmsteads running between The Green and Harborough Road, the farmhouses having an enclosed croft and yard to the rear.
High Street's last surviving example of such development is Stable Court, redeveloped in 1984. Manor Road's origins probably date from a later period, the road originally being a back lane for serving High Street's farmsteads.
During the 18th and 19th Centuries the village grew rapidly. There was no resident lord of the Manor and few dominant landowners. A multiplicity of small land-holders preferred to rent and sell property to villagers and outsiders. This resulted in many High Street properties becoming sub-divided into the present complex pattern of properties and mixture of house styles.
Architecturally and historically the area exhibits a wide divergence of style and character. Many buildings date from the late 19th Century, though very recently there has been considerable impetus on new development.
High Street is the more historic part of the Conservation Area and although the Baptist Church is its only listed building, there are several other interesting and historic buildings evident. The terraced houses and cottages that bound the top of High Street on entry from the Welford Road provide a sense of enclosure and lend considerable charm.
The Stables is an example of a successful mix of Conservation and infill development.
The conversion of the old stone barn to a dwellinghouse enhances the High Street's character whilst the infill housing to the rear of the stone house has not been allowed to dominate, and a successful balance achieved.
Kingsthorpe Baptist Church occupies a relatively central position along High Street. Built in 1835, in neo-classical style, its significant streetscape value is reduced by its being set back and enclosed within private grounds. The strong Baptist movement within Northampton saw the notable Dr. Philip Doddridge preach in the village on a number of occasions during the 1730's. During the early 19th Century the Baptist Church became an independent diocese. The adjoining Sunday School building was added in 1881.
At the Southern end of High Street, modern infill development is very evident. Its full impact on the streetscape is minimised by the fact that it is mostly backland development and much of the old village atmosphere has survived.
Between 'The Rise' and 'Old Yew Court' is a delightful row of four stone cottages. Opposite, lie two Victorian terraces and a small group of old stone cottages. The individual and distinctive architectural treatment of no. 20 contributes to the delight of the streetscape.
Addlecroft footpath leading from High Street to Harborough Road dates back to at least the 15th Centuryn when it was known as "le hodell croftys".
The former National School and the Queen Adelaide Inn that front on to Knights Lane are two important historical buildings. The Youth Centre, once The National School. was built in 1840 "to the Glory of God" and is a good example of Victorian Gothic Architecture. Pupils paid one penny per week as school fees. The Queen Adelaide dates from the 18th Century, originally constructed in sandstone but now featuring a white painted facade. Opposite the Queen Adelaide lies the 'School House; a splendid Victorian dwelling.
The row of attractive stone cottages directly abutting the 'School House' have recently undergone comprehensive renovation. Although resulting in some loss of character, these, together with the adjoining Victorian terrace, have retained a very pleasant streetscape. Similarly. Rose Cottage and the adjoining Victorian terraces enhance the mid-section of Manor Road.
St. Aidan's Church, dating from 1964, is an important and prominent building in Manor Road. Its large, impressive, red brick architecture provides a foil to its smaller domestic neighbours.
Manor House, built in Northampton Stone, is a grade II listed building and a particularly fine example of vernacular architecture. This attractive stone house is complemented by the adjoining small terrace of stone cottages.
At the top of the hill, the buildings crowd together again giving a sense of constriction before emergence onto the busy Welford Road.
Buildings listed as being of special architectural or historic interest
|High Street||Baptist Chapel 1835||Ashlar/Neo Classical|
|Manor Road||10, C19||Coursed Rubble/Tile|
|50 (Queen Adelaide Inn) C18||Coursed Rubble/Tile|
|Documents Available for Download:|
|Kingsthorpe High Street and Manor Road Conservation Area Appraisal 2017|
|Kingsthorpe High Street and Manor Road Conservation Area Leaflet 1988|
Tel: 0300 330 7000
Email using the link below
Return to Conservation Areas Home