The authority's trees are managed and maintained on behalf of the council by Enterprise. These include street trees and trees within the town's parks.
If you have an enquiry about any of these trees, or any trees that stand on council-owned land, you can telephone the Customer Service team on 0300 330 7000 and ask for the Enterprise Tree Management Service, or write to:
Tree Management Service
St James Mill Road,
Our tree policy
Download our tree policy for lots of information about trees and tree maintenance in the borough.
Frequently asked questions
Northampton Borough Council and Daventry District Council have jointly produced a fact sheet:
The Town and Country Planning Acts make provision for the protection of significant trees in the urban environment. Most of these are privately owned.
Trees may be protected in three ways under the planning acts:
- by tree preservation orders (often abbreviated to TPO)
- because the tree stands in a conservation area
- by a special condition attached to a planning permission.
Trees may also be protected through restrictions written into the Deeds of a property. This is usually a private matter, however, where the Council is unable to help.
Tree Preservation Orders in Northampton
Existing Tree Preservation Orders can be viewed on NBC's Interactive Map. Click on "Trees" on the left-hand menu and tick the "Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs)" box.
Apply for a Tree Preservation Order or a Hedgerow Removal Notice
Application forms for a Tree Preservation Order or Hedgerow Removal Notice can be downloaded through the link below.
Some advice for private tree owners
- Always contact the Local Authority to check whether the trees are protected by a Tree Preservation Order, planning constraints, or being within a conservation area.
- Always employ a suitable trained professional tree contractor, who is covered by public liability insurance(always ask for proof).
- Never employ house callers or leaflet droppers touting for tree work.
- Reputable tree contractors will always have some form of professional identification and qualification proof. Always ask to see it.
- Reputable tree contractors can be found in the Yellow Pages.
Trees within development sites
Applications for Planning Permission on sites where trees of amenity value may be affected by the development should be accompanied by a tree survey.
Tel: 0300 330 7000
Email using the link below