Planning application advice and fees
Planning fees & pre-application advice
Fees for planning applications are set by central government under The Town and Country Planning (Fees for Applications and Deemed Applications, Requests and Site Visits) (England) Regulations 2012.
When you submit your application electronically via the National Planning Portal, you will need to make your payment on the Planning Portal via the methods available on their website.
For applications sent directly to us you can make a payment by debit or credit card - please call 0300 330 7000 during office hours.
You must send the relevant fee when you submit your application. If there is no fee, or it is incorrect, you will be notified. We will not process your application until we receive the correct fee.
- Submit your application electronically via Planning Portal
Pre-application advice and fees
Pre-application advice is available from the Planning department to help you prepare and submit your planning application. As the planning authority, we positively encourage pre-application discussions as a means of:
- Assisting you in the preparation of your application
- Allowing us to inform you about any additional technical and supporting information that may need to be submitted with your application.
- Improving the quality of proposed developments in accordance with national guidance and Local Development Plan policies
- Helping to avoid delay during the formal consideration of planning applications, which can save time and money later in the process, especially if plans need to be redrawn and re-submitted, which can be expensive
- Reducing the risk of delays in obtaining permission, particularly if an application is refused on grounds which could have been identified and overcome through pre-application discussions
Even though taking pre-application advice from officers does not bind us to make a particular decision, the information you will receive as a result of pre-application discussions forms part of the decision-making process and will support the determination of your application.
In order to receive an effective advice service, we encourage you to contact us at the earliest opportunity to seek advice on your proposals.
This will ensure that the most appropriate officer is assigned to your case and allow the level of pre-application discussion and negotiation to be determined. This will largely be dependent on the complexity of the application and possibly its proposed location. It will also help determine whether or not other agreements, contributions or obligations will be required.
Request pre-application advice
You can request pre-application advice by emailing [email protected]
Please provide the address of the property and a description of the works you are intending to carry out. Drawings and photographs can be included in your email as these will assist the officer in making a conclusion. An officer from the Registration & Support team will contact you as soon as possible to advise you of the fee and how to make payment.
What we offer
If you choose to take advantage of this service, we will:
- Respond to written requests for advice on straightforward proposals within 10 working days
- Respond to requests for advice on more complex proposals to an agreed timetable and, where appropriate, offering a meeting
- Provide a one-stop-shop for planning advice at the Guildhall (this includes advice from Development Control, Building Control, Conservation, Planning Policy and Public Protection (formerly Environmental Health)
- Provide a duty planning officer, available during opening hours at the Guildhall
- Provide an appointed case officer early in the process to ensure continuity for applicants
- Ensure that all advice provided is consistent, accurate and constructive
- Clearly specify any areas of uncertainty about the acceptability of the proposals
- Undertake site visits, if required, within 10 working days of confirmation that all the necessary information has been received
- Provide advice on the need for Building Regulation approval and other related matters, where appropriate, including advice on Conservation Areas and listed buildings
- Direct the applicant to other agencies or organisations that may have an interest in the proposal, such as the Highways Authority
- Maintain a record of the advice provided on file for the avoidance of doubt and to ensure consistency. The pre-application request and response given may be made publicly available as part of the application documents on subsequent planning applications
- Indicate whether the application will be determined by officers under delegation, or by the Planning Committee
- Seek to ensure the maximum consistency between the pre-application advice and the final recommendation
- Respect commercial confidentiality
- Offer an agreed timetable to determine more complex applications
- Provide advice on the level and scope of Section 106 obligations that will be required, if any, including the amount, mix and size of affordable housing
Exemptions from pre-application advice charges
The following categories of development are exempt from charges:
- Advice in connection with alterations or extension, etc. to a dwelling for the benefit of a registered disabled person
Charges for pre-application advice
|Category of development proposed||Charge (from 1st April 2018)|
|Large scale major developments||Quote required, please email [email protected]|
|Any other major development||15% of the full planning fee|
|Minor development - 1 dwelling||£75|
|Minor development - 2-5 dwellings||£250|
|Minor development - 6-9 dwellings||£450|
|All other minor development||15% of the full planning fee|
|Change of use to house in multiple occupation||£110|
|Any other change of use||£75|
|Listed building consent to alter/extend/demolish||£110|
|Conservation Area consent||£110|
|Meetings and/or site visits (per 30 minutes) in addition to the pre-application charge applicable above||£95|
|Request for current use of a property||Quote required, please email [email protected]|
Charges for general enquiries & copies
|Householder enquiries||Quote required, please email [email protected]|
|Permitted Development enquiries||Quote required, please email [email protected]|
|History & investigation||£95 per 30 minutes|
|Other (not included in the above)||£95 per 30 minutes|
|Planning Performance Agreement||Negotiable on individual cases|
|Return Application Fee (invalid planning applications)||£50|
|Copy of a Planning Decision Notice||£27.50|
|Copy of a Tree Preservation Order||£27.50|
|Copy of a Planning Appeal Decision Notice||£27.50|
|Copy of a Planning Enforcement Notice||£27.50|
|Copy of a Section 106 Agreement||£55|
|Ordnance Survey Extract scale 1:500, 1:1250 or 1:2500 (for use with planning application submission)||£35|
|A4 photocopy||£1.50 per sheet|
|A3 photocopy||£2 per sheet|
|A2 photocopy||£6 per sheet|
|A1 photocopy||£8 per sheet|
|A0 photocopy||£15 per sheet|