Homeless or risk of homelessness
4. Do you have a priority need?
If you have a priority need then we will offer you help to secure temporary accommodation.
To establish if you have a priority need we will look at whether you:
- have dependent children, or you (or a household member) are pregnant
- are vulnerable, for example because of your age, mental health, disability
- are 16 or 17 years old
- have lost your home because of an emergency such as a fire or flood
5. Do we have a duty to provide temporary accommodation?
If you are homeless, have a priority need and require temporary accommodation, then we will help with somewhere suitable to stay while we work with you for 56 days to find somewhere more settled to live.
If possible we will help you to arrange to be 'homeless at home' with family or friends. If this is not an option then we will offer you temporary accommodation.
6. Do you have a local connection?
- have you lived in Northampton for at least 6 of the last 12 months or 3 years during the past 5 year period?
- are you employed in Northampton?
- do you want to live near to a close relative who has lived in Northampton for the last five years to provide or receive support or care?
We may refer you to another council for more help if it is safe to do so and you have an insufficient local connection with Northampton.
Different local connection rules apply if you are:
- a care leaver or are leaving prison
- a former asylum seeker
- have been detained under the Mental Health Act
- a former member of the armed forces
7. Have you recently served in the regular armed forces?
You can choose to have your local connection with any housing authority in England if you:
- are a serving member of the regular forces
- have served in the regular forces within the last 5 years
- you are the bereaved spouse or partner of someone whose death was related to their service in the armed forces