Clinical waste collections
We provide a free clinical waste collection and disposal service for borough residents.
We do not offer any commercial clinical waste collection services for businesses (including nursing or residential homes).
Businesses must organise collection through a licensed commercial waste organisation.
Clinical waste must never be placed in household waste sacks
What is clinical waste?
Examples of clinical waste include:
- Human or animal tissue
- Blood or other bodily fluids
- Drugs or other pharmaceutical products
- Swabs or dressings
- Syringes, needles or other sharp instruments
What can be collected?
Infectious waste to be incinerated
This is classified as waste whose collection and disposal is subject to special requirements in order to prevent infection such as:
- Waste from infectious disease cases
- Waste from wound infections and other acquired infections
- Human hygiene products from infectious cases and all related soiled surgical dressings
- Swabs and other similar waste
Sharps to be incinerated
Sharps are items that could cause cuts or puncture wounds, including:
- Syringes with needles attached
- Scalpels and other blades
Book a collection
Collection day is currently Tuesdays and Fridays only
Do it online...
Clinical waste that can be put in your normal domestic waste
Other related waste such as plasters, incontinence pads, stoma bags and non-infectious dressings should be double bagged in plastic bags and placed into your black wheelie bin.
Larger bins, or additional bags, can be requested to accommodate your needs.
To request a larger bin or more bags, please contact us.
Report discarded clinical waste
If you find any form of clinical waste in the town, please report it to us as soon as you can.
Do it online
You can do this quickly and easily using our online form: