Industrial pollution control

Industrial pollution control permits for A1, A2 and part B installations

Certain industrial installations that have the potential to cause pollution are required to have a pollution permit before they operate. 

There are three types of process classification. 

  • A1 installations are regulated by the Environment Agency and
  • Local authorities regulate A2 and Part B installations.

Anyone operating an A2 or B installations must submit an application, with the appropriate fee to Northampton Borough Council.  The application will need to be consulted upon, and a copy made available for the public to inspect.


Permitted installations

The link below is a list all of the permitted installations operating within Northampton Borough Council. It is a copy of the public register and details the A1, A2 and part B processes within the borough boundary. The list is updated on a quarterly basis.



You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated facility in England or Wales.

About the permits

Licence summary

A regulated facility includes:

  • installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities
  • waste operations
  • waste mobile plant
  • mining waste operations

Listed activities include:

  • energy - burning fuel, gasification, liquefaction and refining activities
  • metals - manufacturing and processing metals
  • minerals - manufacturing lime, cement, ceramics or glass
  • chemicals - manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk
  • waste - incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste
  • solvents - using solvents
  • other - manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming

Listed activities are divided into three categories: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B.

Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including:

  • emissions to air, land and water
  • energy efficiency
  • waste reduction
  • raw materials consumption
  • noise, vibration and heat
  • accident prevention

Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air.

The permit your business requires depends on the specific processes involved and resulting emissions.

Permits are available from the Environment Agency or Northampton Borough Council (the regulator) depending upon the category your business falls within:

  • Part A(1) installations or mobile plants are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • Part A(2) and Part B installations or mobile plants are regulated by Northampton Borough Council , except waste operations carried out at Part B installations which are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants, are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • mining waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency

Eligibility Criteria

Applications must be made on the form provided by the regulator, or online and must include specified information which will vary depending on the operation.

A fee may be payable.

If further information is required the applicant will be notified by the regulator and they must provide this information or the application will be deemed to be withdrawn.

The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility.

For waste operations no licence will be granted unless any required planning permission had first been granted.

Application Evaluation Process

The regulator will pay regard to the protection of the environment taken as a whole by, in particular, preventing or, where that is not practicable, reducing emissions into the air, water and land.

The regulator may inform the public of the application and must consider any representations.

The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility and the regulator must be satisfied that they will operate the facility in accordance with the environmental permit.

The fee for a Part A2 Environmental Permit is currently a minimum of £3218.  The fee for a standard Part B Environmental Permit is currently a minimum of £1579.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that Northampton Borough Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from Northampton Borough Council within a reasonable period, please contact them. 

An application period of 120 calendar days is required.

Apply online

Apply for a B Environmental Permit

Apply for an A2 Environmental Permit

Tell us about a change to your existing Environmental Permit *

* At present this option is not available. We are waiting for this to be finalised by the government body responsible for the EU Services Directive.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact Northampton Borough Council in the first instance.

An applicant who is refused an environmental permit may appeal to the appropriate authority. In England the appropriate authority is the Secretary of State. Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of the decision.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact Northampton Borough Council in the first instance.

If an application to vary, transfer or surrender an environmental permit has been refused or if the applicant objects to conditions imposed on the environmental permit they may appeal to the appropriate authority.

Appeals must be lodged in relation to a regulator initiated variation, a suspension notice or an enforcement notice, not later than two months from the date of the variation or notice and in any other case not later than six months from the date of the decision.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Bureau can give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

Compensation maybe payable in relation to conditions affecting certain interests in land.

Trade Associations

Federation of Environmental Trade Associations (FETA)