Councillor privacy statement

Information held about you

As an elected councillor, I may only be able to look into concerns which you raise if I can use your personal information; for example so that I can progress your enquiry with benefits and respond to you with the result of my enquiries. If your query relates to your own involvement with the council then I will also need details of this involvement in order to be able to assist you.  When I receive this information I become the controller of it under the current data protection laws.

What information do I usually need to manage your enquiry?

  • Name
  • Address
  • Telephone number
  • Mobile number
  • Date of birth
  • Email address

In addition I may sometimes require additional information which the law treats as ‘special’ and which requires more protection due to its sensitivity. This information can include:

  • Racial or ethnic origin
  • Sexuality and sexual life
  • Religious or philosophical beliefs
  • Trade union membership
  • Political opinions
  • Genetic and biometric data
  • Physical or mental health
  • Criminal convictions and offences

It will only be necessary to collect this type of information where it is of relevance to the request you are making.

Personal information about you will only be disclosed on a ‘need to know’ basis with the relevant department, organisation and/or individual who is able to provide information to help address or resolve your concern.

A relevant third party organisation and/or individual will be determined by the nature of the concern you have raised and therefore will vary from case to case.

How will I collect your information?

  • In person such as at surgeries.
  • Via a constituent contacting their councillor directly such as by phone, letter or email.
  • From another councillor.
  • From employees working in the council and/or other public sector, third sector or private sector organisations   
  • From elected representatives and others in public office
  • Via complainants and enquirers
  • From relatives, guardians and associates of the constituent I represent  
  • From business or other contacts
  • From the subject of complaints

How will I store your information?

Reasonable security measures are taken to ensure that personal information within my control is protected from accidental loss or alteration, inappropriate access, misuse or theft.

How is personal data about other individuals processed in connection with requests from constituents?

In representing constituents, I will from time to time also process personal information relating to:

  • Employees working in the council and/or other public sector, third sector or private sector organisations   
  • Elected representatives and others in public office
  • Complainants and enquirers
  • Relatives, guardians and associates of the constituent I represent  
  • Business or other contacts
  • The subject of complaints

What is the legal basis for processing personal data?

The legal bases relied on for processing personal information in relation to responding to requests from constituents is:

  • Consent or explicit consent of the constituent making the request (or any other relevant persons where this is appropriate).   
  • Necessary in pursuit of my legitimate interests as an elected representative and those of my constituent and it is assessed these interests override any privacy intrusion involved in processing personal data about other individuals.  
  • Discharging functions as an elected representative for the purpose of responding to requests from constituents where this is permitted, without explicit consent, by law.

Who is processing my information?

All personal information is held and processed by me in accordance with data protection law.

How will I use information we hold about you?

Personal information held by me will be used to assist me in dealing with your enquiry.

Who I will share your information with?

As an elected member of Northampton Borough Council I will pass your details, and the detail of the situation you have sought my help about, to the relevant council officers in order to allow the council to look into the issue. In order to fully investigate your issue, I or relevant council officers may be required to contact external agencies (I will let you know if this is necessary and ask for your permission before I share the information).

I will not pass personal details of constituents who contact me to anyone else, unless I am required to do so by law or where this is in connection with a criminal investigation.

How long do I keep your records?

Your information will be stored securely and will be retained for as long as necessary to provide ongoing advice and assistance. Your information will be deleted / destroyed when I am no longer the Councillor representing you, or upon your request.

Your rights

You have a number of rights under data protection law, including the right to request your information and to request that the information be amended or, in some circumstances, erased if incorrect.

The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) is responsible for upholding these rights in the UK. For a detailed explanation of all these rights and, the circumstances in which they apply, please visit the ICO web site.

Is personal data transferred beyond the EEA?

Personal information within my control will not be sent beyond the European Economic Area (‘EEA’) or other countries with appropriate safeguards such as an advocacy decision.

Further information

If you have any questions or concerns about how your information is used, or if you would like to receive a copy of the personal information I hold, please contact me.

More information about data protection and how it applies to you, including how to make a complaint, is available from the Information Commissioner's Office.

Your enquiries, feedback and complaints

I will meet the high standards required when collecting, storing and using personal information. Complaints, enquiries and feedback will be taken seriously. Please bring to my attention any concerns or comments you may have in respect of collecting, storage or use of personal information that you believe is unfair, misleading or inappropriate.

You can contact me, The Data Protection Officer or the Data Controller as follows:

My details

Find my contact information on the website.

Data Protection Officer

By email: [email protected] or [email protected]
By telephone: 01604 838536

See more information about the independent role of the DPO.

Northampton Borough Council

By email: [email protected]
By telephone: 0300 3000 7000
Find information via the website.

Write to us

Postal address for all contacts: Cllr [Name], Northampton Borough Council, The Guildhall, St Giles Square, Northampton, NN1 1DE