Council Tax: appeals

Appeals against the banding of your property

Council Tax bands are allocated by the Valuation Office Agency, not us. If you think the banding of your property is wrong please contact:

The Listing Officer
Northampton Valuation Office
Princess House
Cliftonville Road
Telephone: 03000 501501

Fax:  03000 506599

Email: [email protected]

What does it cost to appeal?

Appealing against your Council Tax banding does not cost you anything. You do not have to employ an estate agent, solicitor, surveyor or any other person to assist you unless you choose to do so.

If you do choose to employ someone to handle an appeal you are likely to be charged a fee for any work carried out on your behalf, even if this involves only giving advice and information. Please make sure you fully understand the terms of any contract before you sign it

If you are contacted by any person or company who offers to appeal against your Council Tax band on your behalf, you may wish to check the Valuation Office Agency page on Council Tax agents for advice before making any commitment.

Further information

You can find more information on the the Valuation Office Agency website.


This information is a general guidance and is not a substitute for the relevant statutes and regulations.