What to do in the event of a death

How to contact us

We understand that notifying the Council Tax office when someone has died will take second place to the many other arrangements that have to be made; however, as soon as possible, a relative, friend or solicitor of the deceased should inform the Council Tax office about the death of an occupant of a property

You can tell us by e-mail at revenueservices@northampton.gov.uk, by telephone on 0300 330 7000, or in writing.

What information do we need?

You need to let us know:

  • the name of the deceased person and the date they died
  • the address where they lived
  • whether a Single Person Discount is now required.

If the deceased was a Council Tax payer we will need the following information:

  • the names and addresses of any executors to the will of the deceased person
  • the name and address of an appointed solicitor if you want us to deal directly with a solicitor.

What if I am unable to provide all of this information?

There is no need to worry. If you are providing this information only a short time after a person's death you may only be in a position to give their name and address. You can give us more information once you have it.

How will Council Tax be affected by the death of an adult occupant?

When a property had been occupied by a single person, who either owned or rented the property. and that person dies, the property is exempt from Council Tax payment for as long as it remains unoccupied, and until probate is granted.

Following a grant of probate, a further six month exemption is possible as long as the property remains unoccupied and has not been sold or transferred to someone else.

Executors must let us know:

  • the date probate is granted
  • details of the transfer or sale of the property or the end date of the tenancy
  • when the estate is settled

During this time we may contact the executors periodically to review entitlement to the exemption.

Six months from the date probate is granted the full Council Tax will be due to be paid by the executors of the estate.

When a property was previously occupied by two adults the Council Tax charge might have been in both names or only in the name of one of the occupants.

Providing only one person continues to live in the property we will transfer the Council Tax name solely into their name and grant a 25% sole occupier discount.

More than two adults living in a property

If a property was occupied by more than two adults, and one person dies, we will transfer the Council Tax into the name of the remaining owner/occupiers or joint tenants.

Council Tax Reduction Scheme

If you have been claiming CTRS as a couple, it may mean that you will need to make a claim in your own right. Please contact customer services if you need help with your application.

The claim process has been made as simple as possible and on most occasions can be completed on the telephone without the need to visit the council offices in person.

If you have not previously claimed as a couple, you may wish to consider applying based on your current circumstances. If you have any doubt as to whether you may qualify please contact us so that we can explain the application process and, if appropriate, arrange a telephone application at a convenient time.

Council Tax liability for executors

Executors are the people appointed in the will to deal with the estate of a person who has died.

When probate is granted a document is issued to the executor providing them with the authority to deal with the estate.

If, after probate is granted, ownership of a property is transferred to a beneficiary of the will, any liability for Council Tax passes to the beneficiary.

If for any reason after probate has been granted the property remains under the control of the estate for more than six months, a full Council Tax charge is due. The executor is responsible for making payment of the Council Tax.

The executor is not personally liable for Council Tax charges, and payment should be made from the deceased estate.

If the executor cannot make payment for any reason they should contact us immediately.


This is a general guide to Council Tax and is not a substitute for the relevant statutes and regulations.