Building Control guidance - electrical installations

Electrical installations

Since 1 January 2005 the design, installation, inspection and testing of electrical installations have been controlled under the Building Regulations Part P.

Part P requirements

The requirements apply to domestic electrical installations in a dwelling-house and to parts of the installation that are:

  • outside the dwelling for example fixed lighting, photovoltaic panels, pond pumps
  • in outbuildings such as sheds, greenhouses or garages
  • in shared amenities of blocks of flats such as laundries, kitchens, gymnasiums
  • in business premises connected to the same meter as the electrical installation in a dwelling

Notifiable work in or in connection with a dwelling-house apply to:

  • a new circuit
  • a replacement consumer unit
  • alterations/additions to a circuit in a 'special location'

Special locations include:

  • within a defined zone in a room containing a bath or shower
  • within a room containing a sauna or swimming pool

Methods of gaining consent for Certification, Inspection and Testing of Notifiable Work:

  1. Use an electrician that is a member of a Registered Competent Persons Scheme (self-certification)
  2. Have the work inspected and tested by a member of a Registered Third Party Competent Persons Scheme (third party self-certification)
  3. Submit a Building Regulations application to the local authority and ensure that you have a competent electrician on board to fulfil the necessary electrical safety requirements of the building regulations

Other electrical work

All other minor electrical work, repairs or installations that do not need to be notified to the local authority should only be undertaken by a competent electrician and the work should conform to BS:7671 and the IEE wiring regulations.

More information

For general advice, guidance and information in easy to understand formats

A register of electricians belonging to the various CPS schemes