Street naming and numbering
How to make a request
Before requests for street naming and/or numbering can be processed the following information needs to be provided to the Building Control Team:
- The appropriate fee amount - see the fee schedule on this page
- A plan showing the roads and buildings on the development, the point of entry to the buildings, the point where post is delivered (e.g. the letter box) and plans of all floors where the development includes flats
- If appropriate, your proposals for the naming of the roads, (including the reasons why you think that the names are appropriate). Please refer to our street naming and numbering convention and guidance
- Your proposals for the postal numbering of the plots
- If buildings are to be numbered in an existing street, a plan showing the building, surrounding buildings, the point of entry to each plot and the point where post is delivered (e.g. the letterbox). If the building contains flats floor plans will be required
- When all relevant information has been received, we aim to process the application within 28 days
Please email your supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can make payments over the phone by ringing (01604) 838920; for Street Naming & Numbering our office is open Monday to Thursday 8am to 4pm.
We prefer to receive applications electronically, as this will enable us to proceed with your application quicker, but if you would prefer to send paper documents and pay by cheque (payable to Northampton Borough Council) please send by post to:
Northampton Borough Council
St Giles Square
Northampton NN1 1DE
We have produced guidance for building and street naming and numbering as well as guidance on nameplate positioning.
Please take some time to read our guidance notes before submitting a request.
What happens next?
We will consult with all relevant authorities, including the post office. The post office will normally allocate postcodes within 5-7 working days.
For further information please contact the Building Control department at email@example.com