Dispute Procedures Under the Party Wall Act

Dispute procedures under the Party Wall Act

The Act envisages that, in most cases, there will be agreement about the proposed work between the relevant owners. This agreement must be in writing; however, where an agreement cannot be reached, the dispute resolution procedures of the Act come into play.

You should note that reaching agreement with your neighbour does not remove the possible need for planning permission and building regulation approval. Conversely gaining planning permission and building regulation approval does not remove the need to comply with the Party Wall Act where it applies.

We do not provide a service to administer the Party Wall Act between adjoining land owners - it is entirely a matter between them.

You can contact specialist party wall surveyors on the Party Walls website.