Building Control - what we do
The work of the Building Control Team
Building Regulations are made by the government with the aim of securing reasonable standards of health and safety for people in and about buildings.
In addition they cover other issues affecting buildings such as access, thermal performance and appropriate sound insulation between buildings.
Northampton Borough Council Building Control is dedicated to providing an impartial and local service to the people of Northampton to help them to comply with the Building Regulations.
We aim to assist you in producing high quality buildings within a timescale, whilst keeping your costs to a minimum by providing a fast, efficient and cost-effective Building Control Service.
Our surveyors have wide technical expertise, extensive knowledge of materials and construction methods as well as access to valuable local records.
We have a reputation for fairness, a positive, practical approach and good working relations with local architects, surveyors, builders, developers and the fire service.
- What work is controlled under the Building Regulations?
- Aspects of building work controlled under the Building Regulations
- What is the difference between Building Control and Development Control (Planning)?
- Choosing a builder
- Building Control inspections
- How to make a Building Regulations application
- Buildings exempt from Building Control
- Competent Persons Self-Certification Schemes
- Basement conversions
- Dangerous structures
- Electrical installations
- Garage conversions (domestic)
- Roof space conversions
- Window replacements
- Street naming and numbering
- The Party Wall Act
- Northampton Guide to Extending Your Home (e-book with useful information and guidance for those considering a home extension)
- Office of Fair Trading Guide to Home Improvement Projects
Alternatively you can telephone us on: 01604 838 920