Coronavirus - Financial help for individuals

Coronavirus Financial Help

The latest government updates on all aspects of Coronavirus, including information on financial support available, can be found at

If you are worried about your finances and how you are going to make ends meet, there is help available. We have tried to cover some of the most frequently asked questions, provide links to where you can find more information and also to provide additional information which is specific to residents of Northampton. We will add more information as it becomes available.  

Income changes


If your income has dropped because of the Coronavirus (Covid-19) you should consider doing some or all of the following until your income goes back to normal.

Already on Benefits

There are benefits you may be entitled to if your income is low. You do not have had to pay National Insurance and you can also apply if you are self-employed. If you are already claiming benefits, you might get more money.

If you are already getting one of the benefits listed below, you should tell the office paying you that your income has gone down and by how much. They may be able to increase the amount of benefit you receive.


Who to tell

Where to find more information

Housing Benefit

Council Tax Reduction

Your Local Council. If you live in Northampton, you can report the change in your circumstances here


Universal Credit

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

Job Seekers Allowance

Department for Work and Pensions  (DWP)

Income Support

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

Employment and Support Allowance

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

Pension Credit

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

Tax Credits

HM Revenues & Customs (HMRC)

Not already on a benefit or need to apply for another benefit

If you are not already receiving a benefit, the first thing you should do is make a new claim. To work out which benefit you should claim go to

You can also use this link if you are already receiving a benefit but wish to know if you should claim another benefit, such as Universal Credit.

Make a claim to help with your council tax