#NorthantsTogether to tackle Coronavirus

Northampton residents urged to take action as local cases rise above national rate. Plus find out how to book a test and see testing locations in Northamptonshire Latest Coronavirus updates

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction claims

Make a new claim

System availability

Our system is not available between 6:30pm and 8pm each evening, due to required maintenance; please do not attempt to make your claim between these times or you risk your data being lost.

Please do not use the online new claim form to submit changes to a new or existing claim; if you need to report a change in your details or circumstances, please go to the 'change of circumstances' page instead from the link below, where you can complete the correct online form.

Report a change of circumstance on your existing Housing Benefit/ Council Tax Reduction claim

How do I make a new online Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction (HB/CTR) claim?

Click the link below to launch the online form and follow the on-screen instructions.

Make sure you enter an email address where asked so that an electronic receipt can be mailed to you upon completion of your form; this will confirm that your claim has been submitted correctly and enable us to investigate if you have a query about it.

Make a new online HB/CTR claim

How do I save and retrieve an incomplete claim?

If you wish to exit the application without submitting your claim, you will be prompted to save the form. When you do so, you will be asked to choose 3 security questions which you will need to enter the answers to; you will also be given a tracking reference on-screen. If you entered an email address, you will also have been sent this tracking reference via email.

When you want to access your partially completed claim again, please open the link below; from there, click the 'retrieve a claim I have started' button and follow the on-screen instructions.

You will need to enter the key you were given, as well as some details (such as your date of birth and National Insurance Number, etc) to gain access to your partly-completed claim.

Partly-completed claims are stored for a period of 14 days only (from the initial date they are started and saved); if you wait longer than this between starting and finishing your claim, it will be cleared from our system and you will need to start again from scratch.

Retrieve an online HB/CTR claim you have already started

Your tracking reference is case sensitive.

Once I have submitted my claim, what do I need to do next?

Once your claim has been submitted, you will need to provide us with documentary evidence to support what you have said your income, capital, rent, etc is.

For a list of acceptable evidence and how to submit it, you can see the 'list of acceptable evidence' page from the link below for further details.

We need to receive all your supporting evidence within 1 calendar month of the date you submitted your claim; failure to supply this within that time will mean we have to treat your claim as defective, and no award will be made.

See a list of acceptable evidence

Frequently asked questions

If you come across any issues or questions when completing your online claim, please visit our frequently asked questions page from the link below for advice.

Frequently asked questions page