Universal Credit

Universal Credit full service

If you are of working age, you may no longer be able to make a new claim for Housing Benefit unless you fall into one of the categories below. 

Instead, you will need to claim Universal Credit (UC) from the Department for Work and Pensions for help with your housing costs.

You need to check the GOV.UK website to see if you are likely to be eligible for UC and possibly housing costs.

Find out if you are eligible for Universal Credit

Make a claim for Universal Credit

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit (UC) replaces the following benefits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support (IS)
  • Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Child Tax Credit (CTC)
  • Working Tax Credit (WTC)

It means that instead of getting different types of benefits at different times, any of these benefits you are entitled to will be included in one monthly Universal Credit payment.

By working age, this means people aged between 18 and the qualifying age for Pension Credit.

Who can still make a new claim for Housing Benefit?

You will still need to claim Housing Benefit for help with your rent if you come under one of the following:

  • live in supported accommodation, or pay for rent, care, support & supervision from a housing association, registered charity or voluntary organisation
  • live in temporary accommodation and have been placed there by us due to homelessness
  • live in a hostel or refuge from domestic violence
  • you are receiving pension credit
  • you are single and of pension age
  • you and your partner are both of pension age

Can I still get help with my Council Tax?

Important Information

When making a claim online for council tax reduction you may be asked to bring an original document to the council offices for verification. 

Please note that in view of the current national situation and until further notice we will be able to accept copies of documents by e-mail subject to the original documents being presented at a later date.

Copies of your documents may be e-mailed to us at benefitservices@northampton.gov.uk

Make a new claim for Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction

I don't come under any of the above categories; what do I do to get help with my housing costs?

Please check gov.uk to see if you are likely to be eligible for UC and possibly housing costs.

Universal Credit help

You can find further information about Universal Credit on the GOV.UK website.