Council Tax Reduction Scheme (CTRS)
Applying for Council Tax Reduction
Our new claims and change of circumstances forms will be unavailable from Friday 26th February 12:00pm until Monday 1st March 7:30am. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
The Council Tax Reduction Scheme (CTRS) is a means-tested council tax reduction. How much support you receive will depends on you, your partner, your household income and capital.
Each Local Authority has their own Council Tax Reduction scheme; for details of our local scheme, visit the CTRS page by clicking on the link below.
How much will I get?
- If you are of working age you will receive a maximum of 65% support towards your Council Tax bill.
- If you are of state pension credit age, you are eligible to receive a maximum of 100% support towards your Council Tax bill.
How do I qualify?
- You must live in the property you're applying for.
- You must be on a low income. This can be DWP benefits or low paid work.
- You must be the person responsible for paying the Council Tax bill.
- You and your partner must not have combined savings or capital of £16,000, unless either of you is receiving Pension Credit (Guaranteed Credit).
Your Council Tax bill
If you qualify, you'll get a new bill for with the reduction taken off the balance.
Your bill will show benefit for the whole year. This could change if your circumstances change throughout the year.
If your income is too high for Council Tax Reduction, you may qualify for Second Adult Rebate if a second adult (other than a partner or jointly liable person) is living at your property and is on a low income.
How do I apply?
You can apply for CTR by clicking the link below and following the on-screen instructions.
When making a claim online for council tax reduction you may be asked to bring an original document to the council offices for verification.
Please note that in view of the current national situation and until further notice we will be able to accept copies of documents by e-mail subject to the original documents being presented at a later date.
Copies of your documents may be e-mailed to us at email@example.com