Council Tax Reduction Scheme (CTRS)
Council Tax Reduction Scheme
The Council Tax Reduction Scheme provides financial assistance to people on a low income. As the scheme is means-tested; the amount you receive depends on your income plus the size and needs of your household.
We review the Scheme annually to make sure it continues to provide financial support for as many people as possible.
Following a four-week consultation, the level of reduction has now been set for 2020/2021.
From 1 April 2020, the maximum discount a working-age person can receive will be unchanged from 2017 and remain at 65% of their council tax bill. This means that all working age people who currently claim a council tax reduction discount will be required to pay a minimum contribution of 35% towards their council tax.
The scheme will continue to offer support on a means-tested basis, which could result in you receiving less support in future but this will depend on your income plus the size and needs of your household.
As before we will continue to disregard the following income from the means-tested assessment of this discount:
- War Widows Pension
- War Disablement Pension
- Child Benefit
- Child Maintenance
- Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments
- Attendance Allowance
Your council cax reduction discount will be shown on your council tax bill, along with the balance you will need to pay.
Appeals and queries
On the bill you will see a Council Tax Reduction Scheme discount. If you have received your bill and believe that the discount applied is incorrect, you can appeal.
Apply for Council Tax Reduction
You can apply if you do not already have a Council Tax Reduction Scheme discount applied and you are experiencing difficulties paying your Council Tax bill.
Council Tax Reduction (CTR) claimants who do qualify for CTR will not receive a full notification letter of the decision. You will instead receive an updated Council Tax Bill, which will show the amount of CTR you have been awarded and the relevant period. If you do not qualify or you are not eligible for CTR, you will receive a letter to notify you of this decison
Copy of local scheme
West Northamptonshire Council scheme from 1st April 2021 to 31st March 2022
The formation of the new unitary Council means that the three existing Council Tax Reduction Schemes need to be brought together into one scheme effective from 1 April 2021. Full details of the West Northamptonshire Council scheme will be published soon on the West Northamptonshire website, but the key points for 2021-22 are listed below.
- From 1st April 2021, the maximum discount a working-age person can receive will be 80% of their council tax liability.
- War Widows and War Disablement Pensions will be 100% disregarded in the calculation of the reduction.
- The family premium will be removed for new claims from 1st April 2021, meaning new claimants may receive less support.
- The child allowance will be limited to two children for new claims from 1st April 2021, meaning new claimants may receive less support.
- Non-dependent deduction rates will be set at the levels prescribed by the amounts set by the Government.