Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

Discretionary Housing Payment scheme

The Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) scheme was introduced to provide financial support for those on a low income who may need further help with their housing costs.

Further help through the DHP scheme is only available for customers who are or were in receipt of Housing Benefit (or the housing element of Universal Credit if it does not cover all your housing costs) and need financial support to pay their rent; DHPs are not available for Council Tax.

We receive some money from the government towards the DHP scheme.

Who can claim a DHP

You must be receiving some Housing Benefit to be eligible to claim a DHP.

You cannot receive more than the shortfall in your weekly eligible rent.

A DHP cannot help you with service charges not covered by the benefit scheme, such as heating, lighting, hot water, and other fuel costs or water rates, sewerage or other environmental costs

You cannot receive a DHP to make up for any reduction in other social security benefits as a result of any sanctions applied by the Department for Work and Pensions

The amount awarded is entirely at our discretion. Each individual case will be considered on its own merits. We will look at the individual circumstances of your claim and will consider the other options available to you before deciding whether to award a DHP.

If you disagree with our decision on your application for DHP, you can write to the benefits manager who will review the assessor's decision. 

You do not have the right to go to the Tribunal Service on the decision of an award of a DHP.

Apply for a DHP

For Housing Benefit customers, you can apply online by clicking on the link below; please make sure you have all your financial information to hand and try to give as much information as possible on your form to assist us in making a decision.

To support your Discretionary Housing Payment Application we will require two recent months bank statements for all accounts held.

In addition, for lump sum applications we require the following:

  • 3 quotes for removal costs from different companies or people,
  • Evidence from your future landlord confirming the deposit you are required to pay to secure your tenancy,
  • Evidence from your future landlord confirming the advanced rent that you are required to pay to secure your tenancy.

Apply for a DHP to help with your rent

Apply for a DHP lump sum to help with moving costs

Universal Credit claimants and DHP

If you are a Universal Credit claimant who may qualify for a DHP (you must be receiving the housing element of UC to qualify), please download and complete the relevant PDF form below.

Standard DHP application form for UC customers

Lump sum application form for UC customers

(if you are applying for help with your moving costs or deposit).

Please print, complete, scan and return the correct form via email to [email protected].