Northampton Borough Council
Northampton Borough Council

Search for it…

Unwanted recycling boxes

Please leave your unwanted recycling boxes at the kerbside, as Veolia are collecting daily. Alternatively, you can use your boxes for storage or additional recycling alongside your new recycling bin.

Discretionary Housing Payment Scheme

The Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) scheme was introduced to provide financial support for those on a low income who may need further help with their housing costs.

Further help through the Discretionary Housing Payment scheme is only available for customers who are or were in receipt of Housing Benefit (or the housing element of Universal Credit if it does not cover all your housing costs) and need financial support to pay their rent; Discretionary Housing Payments are not available for Council Tax.

The council receives some money from the Government towards the Discretionary Housing Payment scheme.

Who can claim Discretionary Housing Payment?

You must be receiving some Housing Benefit to be eligible to claim a Discretionary Housing Payment

You cannot receive more than the shortfall in your weekly eligible rent.

A Discretionary Housing Payment cannot help you with service charges not covered by the benefit scheme - such as heating, lighting, hot water, and other fuel costs or water rates, sewerage or other environmental costs

You cannot receive a Discretionary Housing Payment to make up for any reduction in other social security benefits as a result of any sanctions applied by the Department for Work and Pensions

The amount awarded is entirely at the discretion of Northampton Borough Council. Each individual case will be considered on its own merits. We will look at the individual circumstances of your claim and will consider the other options available to you before deciding whether to award a Discretionary Housing Payment.

If you disagree with our decision of the Discretionary Housing Payment, you can write to the Benefits Manager who will review the assessor's decision.  You do not have the right to go to the Tribunal Service on the decision of an award of a discretionary housing payment.

How do I apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment?

For Housing Benefit customers, you can apply online by clicking on the link to the top right hand side of the page; please make sure you have all your financial information to hand and try to give as much information as possible on your form to assist us in making a decision.

If you are a Universal Credit claimant who may qualify for a DHP, please download and complete either the standard form or the Lump Sum application (if you are applying for help with your moving costs or deposit).

You will need to print, complete, scan and return the correct form via email to