Housing Benefit & Council Tax Reduction
Help with paying your Council Tax
If you experience any difficulty paying your Council Tax, it is important that you contact us as soon as the problem starts. Find out more.
Who can claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction?
- Anyone liable to pay rent to a landlord/council can claim Housing Benefit.
- Anyone liable to pay Council Tax can claim Council Tax Reduction.
Who cannot claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction?
- People who have over £16,000 in savings and investments, unless you get the guaranteed part of Pension Credit
- Most full-time students and people living in residential/nursing homes.
- People from outside the UK who do not qualify for benefits.
How do I make a new claim?
Complete an online claim form to make a new claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction.
If you do not have internet access you can access our website free of charge from any of Northampton’s libraries.
Alternatively, you can visit our Guildhall One Stop Shop (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm) and use one of our self-service terminals.
If you require help with on line forms, we have officers available to assist from 9am to 10am and 4pm to 5pm.
Support for people out of work in Northampton
A Jobcentre Plus work coach is now based in The Guildhall’s One Stop Shop to offer support to people looking for work.
One Stop Shop customers receiving benefits can take advantage of free support from a work coach which includes advice on writing CVs, interview techniques, training opportunities and job searches.
The work coach is available for drop in appointments at The Guildhall One Stop Shop on Tuesday mornings 9.30am to 12 noon and Thursday afternoons 1.30pm to 4.30pm