Housing Benefit & Council Tax Reduction

Housing Benefit & Council Tax Reduction

Help with paying your Council Tax 

If you experience any difficulty paying your Council Tax, please contact us as soon as the problem starts. Find out more

Who can claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction?

  • Anyone liable to pay rent to a landlord/council can claim Housing Benefit.
  • Anyone liable to pay Council Tax can claim Council Tax Reduction.

Who cannot claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction?

  • People who have over £16,000 in savings and investments, unless you get the guaranteed part of Pension Credit
  • Most full-time students and people living in residential/nursing homes.
  • People from outside the UK who do not qualify for benefits.

How do I make a new claim?

Please note that the online claim form will not be available between the 28th February 2020 and the 2nd March 2020

Complete an online claim form to make a new claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction.

If you do not have internet access you can use our website free of charge at any of Northampton’s libraries.

Alternatively, you can visit our Guildhall One Stop Shop (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm) and use one of our self-service terminals.

If you require help with our forms, we have officers available to assist from 9am to 10am and 4pm to 5pm.