Council and housing association homes
How to apply for a council or housing association home
Several thousand people apply to rent a council or housing association home in Northampton every year. Unfortunately very few properties become available.
We will only consider adding you to the housing register for a council or housing association home if you qualify, and your household has an urgent or moderate need for affordable rented housing in Northampton.
For most people, it is often better and far quicker to find a home to rent from a private landlord. We can help you to rent a home in the private sector.
If you are working then you may also be able to get help to buy your own home.
Northampton’s housing register
Northampton's housing register is a list of people who have been assessed and qualify to live in a council or housing association home in Northampton and the Northampton related development area. The full details are explained in Northampton's Allocations and Choice Based Lettings scheme.
How to apply to Join Northampton's housing register
If you think you may qualify for a council or housing association home in Northampton then you can apply online to join Northampton's housing register.
Northampton Partnership Homes will assess your application as they are responsible for managing the housing register on our behalf.
What happens next
Step 1 - answer a few online questions to see if you qualify to join the housing register
- if you qualify then you will be directed to the online housing register application form
Step 2 - complete the online registration form
Step 3 - Northampton Partnership Homes will look at the information you provide and:
- assess your housing application form
- contact you if they need more information
- let you know if you have been accepted on to the housing register
- tell you what priority you have
- let you know if your application is going to be cancelled and why
Step 4 - bid for homes that are advertised
- if you are accepted onto Northampton's housing register then you must check which homes are advertised each week and bid for anything that is suitable
- Northampton Partnership homes will explain how you can see the adverts and how to place your bids
Step 5 - receive an offer
- if your bid is successful, a few more checks will be made to see if you still qualify before you are offered the home
Northampton Partnership Homes
Northampton Partnership Homes provides a wide range of housing services for us. These include:
- advertising council and housing association homes in YourHome online choice-based lettings magazine
- offering council tenancies to people who successfully bid for council properties
- nominating people to housing associations who successfully bid for housing association properties
- managing council tenancies on our behalf
- repairing, maintaining and improving existing council homes
- building new council homes