Northampton Borough Council
Northampton Borough Council

Search for it…

Who can swap homes?


Council and housing association tenants with a secure or assured tenancy normally have the right to swap their home with another tenant provided their landlord agrees. This is called a mutual exchange.

Council tenants with an introductory tenancy are not eligible.

Apply for a mutual exchange online or download the application form

Transfer to a smaller home 

If you wish to exchange into a smaller property within Northampton you may be eligible for a downsize payment of £500.

More information on under occupation

Transfer to a sheltered home 

You cannot exchange into a sheltered property unless you are eligible for sheltered housing.

More information on sheltered housing

The Homeswapper scheme

Northampton Borough Council is registered with the Homeswapper scheme, a major mutual exchange service for council and housing association tenants wanting to move home. All our tenants can register details of their homes on Homeswapper for free. When you have registered the system immediately checks for possible swaps for you. It then saves these and you can log in anytime to see them. Regular match alerts will be sent to you by email, text or letter. If you are interested in a match you can then use the other tenants contact details and get in touch.  

If you want the exchange to go ahead you will then need to complete an exchange application form.   

Going ahead with a mutual exchange