Frequently asked questions - Elections
- Q: Am I registered to vote?
- Q: Voting - I have not had my poll card for this election
- Q: I have had a poll card, but I usually vote by post
- Q: I don't want to vote why have I been sent a poll card?
- Q: When will my postal vote arrive?
- Q: Can postal ballot papers be sent overseas?
- Q: I am unable to sign either the Postal Vote Application Form or Postal Vote Statement.
- Q: When does the completed postal ballot paper have to be received back by?
Q: What happens if my postal vote gets lost, is not received or is spoilt?
It may be possible to issue a replacement.
We will need proof of identity before we can issue a replacement, and you will need to apply in person and bring photographic ID with you.
If your ballot paper has been spoilt you will also need to return all of the papers, including the envelopes, in person to the Returning Officer.
We should have no reasonable doubt as to whether it has been lost or not delivered.
Replacement papers cannot be issued to another person on your behalf.
Replacement papers can only be issued up to 5pm on polling day.
It is recommended that you make an appointment to avoid delays. Please contact Electoral Services on 01604 837111 to make an appointment.
- Q: Can someone else vote on my behalf (proxy voting)?
- Q: I have just had a hospital appointment / or I have had a recent illness that means I cannot vote in person. It is too late to apply to vote by post or by proxy ?
- Q: What if we have recently moved or are moving soon, or if some of the people on the form are living/moving away from home?
- Q: I vote by proxy and my nominated proxy has registered as a postal proxy (to vote on my behalf by post). Will you be writing to both of us to ask for fresh signatures?
- Q: How can I stand as a candidate?
- Q: What if I applied to register ages ago but I'm still not on the register?
- Q: What are the full and open registers?
- Q: What is the deadline for applying for a postal vote for the forthcoming election?
- Q: What is the deadline for applying for a proxy vote in the forthcoming election?