Frequently asked questions - Elections
- Q: Am I registered to vote?
- Q: Voting - I have not had my poll card for this election
- Q: I have had a poll card, but I usually vote by post
- Q: I don't want to vote why have I been sent a poll card?
- Q: When will my postal vote arrive?
- Q: Can postal ballot papers be sent overseas?
Q: I am unable to sign either the Postal Vote Application Form or Postal Vote Statement.
The postal voting application form will ask for an explanation of why you can't sign your application.
Please ask your helper to complete the relevant box and return the form to Electoral Services.
We will then send a waiver form for completion by your helper.
When you receive your postal voting statement the word waiver will be printed in the box and your signature will not be required when you return your postal vote.
If the word waiver doesn't appear, unless you have time to make a new postal voting application or apply for a proxy vote (where you nominate someone to vote on your behalf at your polling station) you will now have to sign in some way.
Please try to partly sign using elements such as the initials of your old signature and ask someone to write an explanation of what you have done on the statement.
- Q: When does the completed postal ballot paper have to be received back by?
- Q: What happens if my postal vote gets lost, is not received or is spoilt?
- Q: Can someone else vote on my behalf (proxy voting)?
- Q: I have just had a hospital appointment / or I have had a recent illness that means I cannot vote in person. It is too late to apply to vote by post or by proxy ?
- Q: What if we have recently moved or are moving soon, or if some of the people on the form are living/moving away from home?
- Q: I vote by proxy and my nominated proxy has registered as a postal proxy (to vote on my behalf by post). Will you be writing to both of us to ask for fresh signatures?
- Q: How can I stand as a candidate?
- Q: What if I applied to register ages ago but I'm still not on the register?
- Q: What are the full and open registers?
- Q: What is the deadline for applying for a postal vote for the forthcoming election?
- Q: What is the deadline for applying for a proxy vote in the forthcoming election?