Council Tax Reduction Scheme Consultation 2016/17
This consultation has now ended.
We would like to hear your views about the proposed changes to our scheme.
Under the current scheme, everybody of working age who receives CTR must contribute at least 21% towards their Council Tax bill. This means that all working age applicants would receive help towards a maximum of 79% of their total Council Tax bill. We are considering making changes to the Council Tax Reduction Scheme (CTRS) with effect from April 2016 and would like to hear your views on our proposals.
Feedback will help inform decisions over the setting of our budget later this year.
The options being considered are:
- Reduce the maximum amount of CTRS from 79% to 69%.
- No change (contribution remains at 21%)
Reduce the maximum support from 79% to 63%
The Council's preferred option in respect of 2016/17 is to reduce the maximum amount of CTRS from 79% to 69%.
To find out more about the proposals, please review the additional information available below.
Changes to our scheme will not affect customers who have reached their state retirement age and at the same time are not receiving Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Universal Credit or Employment & Support Allowance.
- The Council Tax Reduction Scheme options being considered
- A brief guide to CTB
- Overview for finance of the proposed changes
- Estimates of the impact of the proposed changes
- How much the proposed changes will cost the council
- Breakdown of collection rates for CTRS cases
- Equality Impact Assessment
- Examples of the effect of the proposed changes on banding charges (see the web display)
- Examples of the effect of the proposed changes
- Council Tax Regulations 2016-17
What will happen with your feedback
Information will be used to inform decision makers. Any revision to the scheme must be made by 31 January 2016.
Questions about, or help on, this survey
If you have any queries regarding the consultation, or need any help to access information, please contact:
Email: [email protected]
In writing: Customer Services, Northampton Borough Council, The Guildhall, St Giles Square, Northampton NN1 1DE
Telephone: 0300 330 7000