Council Tax: students
Who is classed as a student?
There are three main categories of students for Council Tax purposes. You are a student if you are:
- Undertaking a full-time course at a college or university in the UK
- Under 20 years old in part time or full time education
- A foreign language assistant - registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and working at a school or other educational establishment.
Properties that are occupied by full time students only are exempt from payment of Council Tax. You will need to ensure that the council receives certificates of full time education from all residents confirming their student status before this exemption can be applied to your Council Tax account.
If you are a student and you share your address with someone who is not a full time student, then we can reduce the Council Tax bill by 25%.
If you are a student and you share your address with two or more joint tenants who are not full time students then there is no reduction, and the people who are not students will be named on the Council Tax bill.
Which properties are exempt?
- Houses and flats where the only people who are living there are full time students
- Halls of residence
- Additionally, the foreign spouse or dependant of a student may live in such a property without losing the exemption, as long as the terms of their visa prevent them from taking paid employment or claiming benefits.
How do I apply for this exemption?
You will be asked to upload a copy of the certificate of full-time education for each student living in the property.
This is a general guide to Council Tax and is not a substitute for the relevant statutes and regulations.
The council has a duty to review Council Tax exemptions and discounts we grant when students occupy a property. We do this to ensure our records are up to date, that we are aware of the names of the people living at a property, which occupiers are full time students, and to confirm that any reduction is correct.
We send a review form to all customers who qualify for a reduction and ask for the names of the occupiers, the date they moved in, confirmation whether they are full time students and ask for a copy of their certificate of full time student status.
Northampton Borough Council have ended their Northampton Student Accreditation Scheme. We no longer have any accredited properties in respect of Council Tax and do not accept accreditation under any other schemes, therefore certificates will need to be provided for each student.