#NorthantsTogether to tackle Coronavirus

Northampton residents urged to take action as local cases rise above national rate. Plus find out how to book a test and see testing locations in Northamptonshire Latest Coronavirus updates

Difficulties paying Council Tax and other bills

Get help with financial problems

Are you experiencing financial problems difficulties paying all your bills, including your Council Tax, with the income you have?

If so, it's important you contact us straight away so we can fully understand your circumstances.

You should also consider the following:

Council Tax Reduction Scheme

Your Council Tax bill may be reduced if you are on a low income by applying for our Council Tax Reduction Scheme, which is a reduction in your Council Tax bill dependent on your household’s income. Find more details and apply for the reduction on the application webpage

Visit the Council Tax Reduction Scheme page

Council Tax exemptions and discounts

There are a number of exemptions and discounts towards Council Tax; some are based upon the use of a property, whilst others are assessed on the circumstances of the occupiers of the property.

Find out more about the available exemptions and discounts.

Housing Options Money Advice Team

Our Money Advice Team can help with advice on rent and mortgage arrears, Council Tax and utility charges debts, as well as budgeting and borrowing information.

For more information, contact them on 01604 838578 or email [email protected].

Independent debt advice

There are many organisations that offer free advice on ways to maximise your income, manage your debt and how to deal with creditors. If you struggle to discuss your debts with creditors, they will offer to speak to them on your behalf if you give permission.

You can obtain financial and budgeting advice from the following:

  • Citizens Advice Bureau, Town Centre House, 7/8 Mercers Row, Northampton, NN1 2QL. Telephone 03444 889 629 or visit the Northampton CAB website or the central and east Northamptonshire CAB website.

Visit the Northampton CAB website

Visit the central and east Northamptonshire CAB website

The Citizens Advice Bureau also offers a useful online tool that can help you deal with debt and financial problems. You can find this on the CAB website.

Visit the CAB debt remedy tool webpage

  • National Debtline - you can visit their website to get advice. Telephone 0808 808 4000

Visit the National Debtline website

  • Community Law Service, The Guildhall, St Giles Square, Northampton NN1 1DE. Telephone 01604 621038 or email [email protected]

First for Wellbeing

First for Wellbeing is a Community Interest Company (CIC) – a social enterprise set up entirely to serve the needs of the local community. The company is a partnership between Northamptonshire County Council, Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust and the University of Northampton, and offers an integrated health and wellbeing service for people who live in Northamptonshire.

They offer a range of wellbeing services and programmes, including

  • Financial support
  • Employment and adult learning
  • Alcohol
  • Smoking
  • Social inclusion
  • Emotional wellbeing
  • Weight management

Visit the First for Wellbeing website