Benefits: change in circumstances

Benefits: change in circumstances

System availability

Our system is not available between 6:30pm and 8pm each evening, because of maintenance; please do not attempt to report your change in circumstances between these times as you will not be able to connect to our system correctly.

Please do not use the change of circumstances form to try to make a new claim; if you need to make a new claim, please click on the 'make a new claim' link below, where you can complete the correct online form.

Make a new claim

How do I let you know about a change in circumstances?

If you have an active benefit claim at the moment (i.e. you are already receiving Housing Benefit payments and/or Council Tax Reduction), or if you have submitted a new claim within the last two weeks, please use the link below to let us know what has changed; please do not use the online new claim form to submit change information.

Report a change in your circumstances

What do I need to be able to report a change of circumstances online?

For security reasons, you will need to provide some information to enable your change to be correctly processed.

This information includes:

  • Your surname
  • Your National Insurance Number
  • Your date of birth
  • Your postcode
  • Your current benefit claim reference number (this number is the 8 digit reference we quote on all of our correspondence with you).

You must correctly enter this information before you can start reporting your change online.

What changes do I need to tell you about?

  You need to let us know if...

Changes in benefit
you or your partner: start receiving
stop receiving, or
have a change in the amount of any benefit you receive.

Changes in income
there is any change to your or your partner's:
tax credits,
works pensions or private pensions,
any other income.

Changes in expenditure
there is any change to your or your partner's:
child care costs,
private pension contribution,
parental contribution to a student grant.

People who live with you
anyone comes to live with you or moves out,

someone who lives with you starts or stops work or their income changes (except changes to the amount of Income Support or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance),

a child leaves school, or

you stop receiving child benefit.

Bank accounts, savings and investments, stocks and/or shares
there are any major changes in your:

bank accounts,
stocks and/or shares.

Private rents
your landlord puts your rent up or down,
the services included in your rent change,
the part of the property you live in changes.

Address changes
if you move to a new address in the Northampton area: you will need to contact us and provide the tenancy of your new property or proof of rent.

if you move to another council's area: you will need to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit from your new council and you should get a new claim form directly from them.

if we don't know you've moved, we may carry on paying benefit at your last address, resulting in an overpayment that you will be liable to repay.

if you are notifying us of a change of address, please make sure you provide a new address where we can contact you.

Starting work
start a new job
increase your normal hours
start working overtime
get a pay rise

Evidence of your change

For most changes, we need to see evidence to support what your are telling us.

For a list of acceptable evidence and how to submit it, you can see the 'list of acceptable evidence' page linked below for further details.

List of acceptable evidence

Frequently asked questions

If you come across any issues or questions when completing your online claim, please visit our frequently asked questions page linked below for advice.

Frequently asked questions