Northampton Borough Council
Northampton Borough Council

Universal Credit: what you need to know

Some working age benefit claimants in Northampton will start to receive Universal Credit from November 2015. This will change the way your benefits are paid and how you manage your household budget. You will need to apply for, and manage, your benefits online and have access to a bank account.

What is Universal Credit?

The government has made a number of changes to the benefit system over the past few years but the biggest of them so far is the introduction of Universal Credit (UC).

Universal Credit is a new benefit for people of working age and it replaces these benefits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support (IS)
  • Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

It means that instead of getting different types of benefits at different times, any of these benefits you are entitled to will be included in one monthly Universal Credit payment.

By working age, this means people aged between 18 and the qualifying age for Pension Credit.

Who is affected?

Universal Credit has been rolled out in stages across the country and arrived in Northampton in November this year. Not everyone who currently claims benefits will be affected immediately (only new single JSA claimants initially); however, over the next few years existing working-age claimants will be moved to Universal Credit.

Council Tax Reduction

Universal Credit does not include help with paying your Council Tax bill and you must still apply for this online, via our website. Find out more about this and how Universal Credit may affect you if you are in rented housing on our Universal Credit FAQs page.


Next page - Find out if you are eligible for Universal Credit

Benefits contact