Northampton Borough Council
Northampton Borough Council

Help with paying your Council Tax 

If you experience any difficulty paying your council tax, it is important that you contact us as soon as the problem starts. Find out more

Who can claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction?

  • Anyone liable to pay rent to a landlord/council can claim housing benefit.
  • Anyone liable to pay council tax can claim council tax reduction.

Who cannot claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction?

  • People who have over £16,000 in savings and investments, unless you get the guaranteed part of Pension Credit
  • Most full-time students and people living in residential/nursing homes.
  • People from outside the UK who do not qualify for benefits.

How do I make a new claim?

You can now claim online,  the fastest way to get your claim started. 

Or call us on 0300 330 7000. Our team will arrange a telephone appointment for a convenient time where one of our staff will ring you back and complete the application for you over the telephone.