Polling place reviews
Reviews of polling districts, polling places, and polling stations
Since October 2013, all local authorities have been required to review their polling districts, polling places, and polling stations every five years. The review period starts in October, and must be completed within 16 months of this. Each authority may choose the exact dates and length of their review; however it must fall within this window. The next compulsory review period is from October 2018 to Jan 2020.
The review requires the council to:
- Seek to ensure that all the electors in the constituency have such reasonable facilities for voting as are practicable in the circumstances.
- Seek to ensure that so far as is reasonable and practicable, the polling places they are responsible for are accessible to all electors, and when considering the designation of a polling place, must have regard to the accessibility needs of disabled persons.
The following is not considered as part of the review:
- The changing of any district ward boundaries (which can only be done by statute following an electoral review carried out by the Local Government Boundary Commission). This review is concerned only with the administrative subdivision of a ward into polling districts which are then assigned polling places;
- The changing of polling districts in areas which are also aligned with parish boundaries and therefore cannot be amended during this review (these can only be amended during a Community Governance Review).
During each review, full details of the proposals; and information on how to participate will be published within our consultation web pages.
This will be supported by press releases etc. to publicise the event, and to inform and encourage people to take part in the process.
When conducting the review, Northampton Borough Council uses the guidance and resources published by the Electoral Commission.
Review of polling districts and polling places
The final representations of the Returning Officer have been approved by council.
There was a four week appeals period ending on the 14th January 2016.
For further information please contact Electoral Services: email@example.com
Documents from the review are also available for inspection at:
- The One Stop Shop, Northampton Borough Council, The Guildhall, St Giles Square
- Northampton Central Library, Abington Street, Northampton
- The Pastures Community Centre, Acre Lane, Welford Road, Northampton, NN2 8PN
Explanation of terms
- A 'polling district' is a geographical subdivision of an electoral area such as a county division or a district ward within which a polling place is designated.
- A 'polling place' is an area or building in which a polling station is usually located and can be a complete polling district.
- Polling districts can be created as an electoral requirement but also as a means to provide a more conveniently located polling station for the electorate.
Elections teamThe Guildhall
St. Giles Square
Tel: 0300 330 7000