Weekly waste and recycling collections
Green sack collections
With most properties having paper, card, glass, cans, plastic bottles and food waste collected weekly, anything left over should fit inside the green sacks provided.
We will only collect two green sacks each week, so please don't put out more than this.
By doing this, we can reduce the amount of waste going to landfill and meet our obligations and commitment to recycle as much as possible.
Collecting your green sacks
- Green sacks must be placed at the kerbside on your day of collection by 6:30am.
- Your collection day depends on where you live. Use our quick and easy online form to find your collection day.
- Enterprise will only collect the green sacks provided by them, which have the Enterprise Partnership logo printed on the front.
- 2 green sacks can be collected per week, no other sacks or additional green sacks will be collected.
- Waste placed out in the wrong sacks, or adjacent to the permitted number of green sacks, will be deemed as 'side waste' and will not be collected.
How to get green sacks
Each property will be issued with 52 green sacks every six months, which is the equivalent of two sacks per week. These will be delivered in March and September each year.
Please do not exceed this amount, as we are unable to provide extra sacks.
Getting additional green sacks
If you are unable to cope with the quantity of green sacks provided, either because of the size of your family, or a medical condition that produces a lot of non-recyclable waste, then an assessment can be made by an Enterprise or Council representative and you may be entitled to an additional allocation of green sacks.
I haven't received any green sacks
If you believe that Enterprise has not delivered their allocation of green sacks, then the Council’s Green Sack Dispute Procedure will commence as follows:
- The Resident needs to log their request for green sacks with the Customer Contact Centre.
- The Customer Contact Centre will inform the resident that a visit will be necessary by an Enterprise or Council Representative to ascertain the reason why they had not received their green sack allocation. This will include a number of set questions and a signed declaration by the resident that the sacks have not been received.
- The Customer Contact Centre will make the appointment to see a representative during the telephone conversation.
- Appointments can be made Monday to Friday and if necessary Saturday morning.
- Appointments will be carried out within 5 working days
- The resident will have to satisfy the Enterprise or Council Representative that they did not receive their allocation of green sacks, before they are issued with an allocation.
This is additional waste placed adjacent to the permitted number of green sacks for collection. This waste will not be collected and will be reported and treated as side waste.
Collecting excess waste does not inspire residents to recycle. Also, by not collecting side waste, we hope to encourage people to reduce the amount of waste they produce and make the most of their kerbside recycling services and help us create a cleaner, greener Borough for everyone.
It is the responsibility of the resident to take back any uncollected side waste onto their property and dispose of appropriately. Under Section 46 of the Environmental Protection Act (1990), failure to adhere to these rules could lead to residents being issued with a fixed penalty notice (£80) or prosecuted (maximum penalty £1,000).
The only exception to this policy would be if the collection service had been cancelled due to severe weather conditions. In this case, if a collection day has been missed, it may be necessary for residents to place out four green sacks the following week.
It is advised in these circumstances that residents check the website for the latest collection updates.