Make a new claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
General Information about making an Online New Claim
There are several general guidelines we recommend you follow when completing an Online New Claim form
- Please make sure you have all the relevant information to hand before you start (i.e. wage-slips, savings amounts, tenancy details, etc.), as this will save you time when filling out the form.
- When completing the form, please be aware that it can take some time for some screens to respond; please be patient and allow the screens to fully load before attempting to proceed.
- If you need to save the form and come back to it later, there are system specific rules that need to be followed or your information will not be properly recorded. You will need to make sure that you fully complete the screen you are on and click the "Continue" button BEFORE you click the “Exit/Save” button to avoid any information being lost.
- If you need to delete information you have entered in a field on the form, please make sure that you have clicked into that field and the curser is active BEFORE you attempt to delete anything in it, or you may encounter problems, as you will make the application form itself go back one page which will cause the system to error and you will lose any unsaved data.
- Do not use your web browser back button to try to return to a previous page as this will also cause system errors and again you will lose the data you have entered; if you wish to amend a previous answer, you must use the "View/Change Answers" button on the bottom left-hand side of the screen.
- When you arrive at the Summary Screen which indicates your potential HB entitlement, you must remember that at this point you have not submitted your claim. You MUST continue forward, tick the "declaration" box on the screen following and work through the remaining screens to finish submitting your claim, or we will not receive it.
This is a complex process and can be frustrating. It is important that you take your time to read and fully complete each screen before you move on.
What to do if you are suffering technical problems making your claim
If you are suffering technical problems and cannot fully complete the form without encountering issues, please contact us on 0300 330 7000 during the hours of 09:00-17:00 Monday to Friday, and we will arrange an appointment to call you back to take your claim over the telephone.
You can see some specific FAQs about making an Online New Claim here.
You can read the electronic communications order here.